Under the name Deco Tartlets on instagram, Cassie Winslow presents its second cake recipe book (but not only) specializing in flowers. In the new flower supplies, Deco Tartelette fans will find tips and flower recipes just like in his first book, flower libations. As weddings and summer parties return, Cassie Winslow ends up sharing with us her third recipe to try at home.
After lavender whipped cream on red fruits and a champagne cocktail freeze-dried with pink salt, we finish in style with a cake recipe with icing, hibiscus jam and strawberries. An opportunity for the chef to tell us more about this exceptional dish: “This cake is so beautiful and elegant. Filled with so many floral ingredients, it lives up to its Garden Party name. From rose water to orange blossom water, to flower-infused sugar infused with lavender, hibiscus, chamomile and marigold… This cake will make you feel like you’re dining in the middle of an incredible garden, celebrating flowers in all their glory. . And to top it all off? This cake is topped with pink icing making it the most beautiful cake you’ve ever seen. Decorate it with pretty flowers and a few small strawberries.”
Garden Party Cake Recipe with Hibiscus Jam Frosting and Strawberries by Cassie Winslowauthor Deco Tartlets :
For the cake:
- 1 cup [220 g] room temperature unsalted butter (more for greasing pans)
- 1½ cups [250 g] Garden Party Sugar (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon pink salt (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon orange water
- ¼ tsp pink water
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1½ cups [360 ml] whole milk at room temperature
- 3½ cups [420 g] cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
For the strawberry hibiscus jam:
- ¾ cup [105 g] chopped strawberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 C. spoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried hibiscus petals
- 1 cup [220 g] unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3½ cups [350 g] sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons halved
- A handful of edible flowers for garnish
- small strawberry for garnish
For the two tier cake:
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter two 23cm cake tins and cut out two pieces of parchment paper to fit the shape of the tin. Lightly oil the paper. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, Garden Party sugar, and pink salt on medium speed until well combined. Add orange blossom water and rose water and mix on medium speed until smooth. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and milk until well combined. To book.
In another medium bowl, mix the baking flour and baking powder until combined. Add about half of the egg white mixture to the mixer bowl and beat on low speed for about 30 seconds. Then add half of the flour mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds. Repeat this, then mix the dough on medium speed until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary.